[birdky] Re: More bird house relocating

  • From: Joyce Fry <joycefry1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:00:30 -0400

We have four houses up. One in the backyard near our once majestic, bird-magnet ash snag. It’s now lost all of its nest hole productive limbs and is but a stump of its former self, albeit, a tall one. That box remained empty last year after we had moved it from a hickory tree, where it was only occupied by flying squirrels. This year, chickadees appear to have claimed it. Finally. It’s a really nice box, after all. We have another in the front yard, which when we first put it up, attracted blue birds, but just that once. Since then, chickadees have been the inhabitants, as it appears to be this year. We have gobs of chickadees (Scott, how much does a gob weigh?). A friend gave us a screech owl nest that is on the fringes of the woods, but so far, it has not attracted owls. There may be squirrels in it, but we haven’t checked, lately. The fourth and newest bird house, which I won in a raffle at the First Annual Master Naturalist Seminar and sat in our garage while we. debated where to put it, was finally placed at the bottom of our driveway hill on our bird-loving next door neighbor’s property in a large field where we have seen bluebirds for years. It took just one, maybe two days for a bluebird couple to claim it! That is by far the fastest I have ever seen a box be inhabited! I believe it’s rather timely because many of the snags where the red-headed woodpeckers nest are fought over by red-headed woodpeckers, flickers, starlings (a pox on you), and bluebirds. Bluebirds appear to be a rather meek species and typically lose out. Happy Birding!
Joyce FryNorthern Franklin County
“When nature is your reality and your home, every offense to nature feels personal.” Joanne Price

On Mar 31, 2024, at 7:45 AM, Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ce Ci and all, I do try. For some reason I have as yet never been able to get any of my tenants to sign a lease agreement.
Frank
Frank Lynefrank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY

On Mar 30, 2024, at 3:15 PM, Ce Ci ("thefarsidefarm") <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I read that Frank believes in providing affordable housing to the less fortunate.  Good on ya, Frank!

Ceci & friends at
The Far Side Farm

On Saturday, March 30, 2024 at 02:40:54 PM EDT, Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This morning I sat for a spell in a spot where I could see the bird house I recently relocated on an old well house. I spotted a male bluebird entering it. A few moments later a chickadee attempted to enter it but the bluebird shot out of the house and chased it off. Don’t know how it will work out, but I placed another bird house a few feet away, still within part day shade of the same white oak. Maybe chickadee can claim that one.
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY

================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS=============
When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org