[birdky] Minor Clark Fish Hatchery, Boone County, and Backyard

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:03:30 -0400

Birding this weekend was a tad slow but I did get 2 new birds to add to my
"lifer" list (*).

Friday 10/14/05
My backyard "swamp" area yielded the following:
*Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Carolina Wren

Shor Lake (Boone County)
*White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Yellow-throated Warbler
Eastern Phoebe

Saturday 10/15/05
Minor Clark Fish Hatchery
Cedar Waxwings
Eastern Bluebirds
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Palm Warblers
Blue Jays
Cardinals
Robins
Red-winged Blackbirds
Eastern Phoebes
1 Snow Goose (Blue Morph - same one as before)
7 Killdeer
2 Pectoral Sandpipers
6 Pied-billed Grebes together in one of the large ponds
Canada Geese
Mallards
1 Green Heron
7+ Great Blue Heron
Belted Kingfishers
Red Shouldered Hawk who was mobbed by the crows each time he attempted to
catch prey on the ground.

Perhaps it's been the days that I've been at the Fish Hatchery but it
certainly wasn't as productive for shorebirds this year as in the past.
Also, I've only seen a couple of wood ducks, 2 Blue-winged Teal and a few
Mallards in the past.  I haven't seen the Peregrine Falcon since the first
visit so I'm not sure that I can blame him.

Lana Hays
Walton, KY