[birdky] Re: Mammoth cave today

  • From: Joyce Fry <joycefry1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ronan O'Carra <ronan.o.carra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 13:23:31 -0400

I see! Thanks for the explanation, Ronan. We’ve had purple finches all fall/winter. They, along with white-throated sparrows, and dark-eyed juncos are still here today. I haven’t noted any yellow-bellied sapsuckers or kinglets in northern Franklin County for some time, now, although we did note a yellow-bellied sapsucker at Vaughn’s Branch in Frankfort yesterday. We never did spot a brown creeper at our place this year. :(

“When nature is your reality and your home, every offense to nature feels personal.” Joanne Price

On Mar 19, 2024, at 1:12 PM, Ronan O'Carra <ronan.o.carra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It just requires an explanation. “Counted individually”, “estimated” etc., work. It is just that numbers aren’t usually high everywhere so we want to make sure the input is correct. Ronan O’CarraLexington

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 1:05 PM Joyce Fry <joycefry1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve, how did eBird react to 38 purple finches?  It doesn’t “like” it when we record more than nine here, yet we’ve had up to eleven here at one time. I think if we recorded 38, my cell phone would implode!

“When nature is your reality and your home, every offense to nature feels personal.” Joanne Price
On Mar 18, 2024, at 8:36 PM, Steve Kistler <kistlers76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Our first bird hike of the spring was greeted by sunny, cold skies. Temps were in the 30s, but birds were active and moving.
Highlights were FOS singing chipping sparrows and very vocal flickers and red-headed woodpeckers.
Coming back home, our feeders were hosting a flock of ~ 38 purple finches. They were hard to count...the little fellers kept moving around!
Steve Kistler, with Tricia Sepulveda and Dennis Parker
Mammoth Cave NP, Edmonson, Kentucky, US
Mar 18, 2024 8:27 AM - 9:56 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.539 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Clear skies, temperatures in the 30s
Visitor Center clearing and Heritage Trail
25 species

Mourning Dove  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1