[birdky] Re: Long-tailed ducks, Golden Eagle- Louisville area

  • From: Brian Davis <bm.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tingsgrove@xxxxxxx" <tingsgrove@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 15:52:31 -0500

Mary,

Thanks very much- as Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence. I was driving, with the camera on the backseat- no
photo, unfortunately!  I immediately considered the most likely candidates:

Turkey Vulture: this bird seemed heavier, with big, square wings.  We
watched it do a full circle overhead by the time we drove underneath, and
it held it wings completely flat (instead of the V-shape vultures keep).
The prominent silver trailing edge of a TUVU was absent.

Juv. Bald Eagle: we saw enough of the bird in a couple of views that we
were confident it had no obvious white on the body or underwings (if there
was some on the tail, it sure didn't stand out)- it was just plain dark.

These things combined seemed to indicate adult Golden Eagle.

Brian

Brian M. Davis, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
511 S. Floyd St., Room 111
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 852-5708
bm.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx