[birdky] Lark Sparrows and Western Ky

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:10:03 -0700 (PDT)

On 7 July, I checked the area along Vance Road in Warren County where I had
watched a pair of Lark Sparrows make feeding trips to their nest on 14 June.
During the latter visit, I observed 4 birds on the wires and in the adjacent
bean field.  I also observed 2 birds in another bean field less than a mile
south of there where I had seen Lark Sparrows earlier in the year.

An American Coot continues at Griffin Park in Warren County.

A trip to western Kentucky on Thursday and Friday of this week yielded the
following observations:

10 July

MORGAN POND/CHRISTIAN

The main pool is down to a small pond and will likely be gone if a few days.

Canada Goose broods
Blue-winged Teal broods
Wood Duck broods
Mallard Broods
Ring-necked Duck
American Coot (3)
Pied-billed Grebe (2)
SANDHILL CRANE
Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Spotted Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper (9)
Short-billed Dowitcher (3)
Black-necked Stilt (a pair continues with distraction displays)

KY DAM
Ring-billed Gull (~40)
Herring Gull (adult)

FULTON COUNTY

LAKE 9
American White Pelican (4)
Willet

OPEN POND
Blue-winged Teal
Semipalmated Plover
Lesser Yellowlegs (10-12)
Solitary Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper (75+)
Pectoral Sandpiper (25+)
Short-billed Dowitcher
Least Tern (few with much of area having been plowed)
Black-necked Stilt (family group of 2 adults and 2 full-grown juvs presumed to
have been migrants, and a pair of adults with 3 downy juvs)

11 July

FULTON COUNTY

FISHPOND WETLAND
Blue-winged Teal broods
Wood Duck broods
Mallard broods
LESSER SCAUP (male)
Hooded Merganser brood

OPEN POND with Hap Chambers
Black-necked Stilt (pair w/3 downy juvs)
Solitary, Least, and Pectoral Sandpipers
Few Least Terns
Grasshopper Sparrow singing

WILLOW POND w/Hap
Blue-winged Teal (broods w/22 present)

Other birds of interest observed in Fulton County were scattered Great Egrets,
Mississippi Kites, Fish Crows, Red-headed Woodpeckers, and only 2 Loggerhead
Shrikes.  I also saw a road-kill Armadillo just south of the state line in
Tennessee.  The Phillippy Pits had a good number of Great Egrets and Great Blue
Herons present.

The Upper Hickman bottoms are becoming exposed with the river dropping with
many Least Terns present.

KY DAM
Ring-billed Gull (130)
Herring Gull