[birdky] Lake Barkley State Park bird walk

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, MJDickirson@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:38:10 EDT

In celebration of Earth Week, Lake Barkley State Park offered a bird walk
this morning.  We had 50 species of birds and 16 participants.  It was  a
beautiful spring morning with bird song bringing the park to life.
Highlights of the morning were:
Double-crested Cormorant
Black-crowned Night Heron
Great Blue Heron
Canada Geese
Turkey Vulture
American Coot
Killdeer
Bonaparte's Gull
Herring Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Barn Swallow
Norther rough-winged Swallow
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted titmouse
White-breasted nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Northern Parula
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Yellow-rumped  Warbler
Indigo Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Chipping Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
Red-winged Blackbird
Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Thanks to all who participated in this nice event.  Special thanks  goes to
Lake Barkley State Park for putting together a week of events  to celebrate our
Earth.

Events on April 22, include Cadiz Boy Scout Troop  57’s energy efficiency
displays and compact fluorescent light bulb FREE giveaway  from noon to 6pm at
the Convention Center and the Cache In, Trash Out (CITO)  cleanup, starting at
Lake Barkley’s Beach at 1pm, with registered volunteers  receiving a discount
buffet.

Sunday, April 22, stars  of all magnitude will be presented to Park visitors
by way of an inflatable  planetarium.  Using a grant from  NASA, astronomers
at Fisk and Vanderbilt Universities and the historic Dyer  Observatory, in
Nashville, TN, provided the traveling exhibit and planetarium  show.

Hap
Murray,  KY