[birdky] Lake Barkley KEEP Osprey Cam Update

  • From: Ed Ray <edrayosprey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

Had a report yesterday that the three chicks were into serious fighting even
tho no food was present. Adult female just watched, no injuries. Wondering if
other raptor chicks fight so much. Many articles state that the youngest osprey
chicks often do not survive. My theory is that food is so abundant at Lake
Barkley and easy to catch (mostly gizzard shad) that larger chick numbers of
3-4 survival rates are good. When I was checking every osprey nest I could find
at Lake Barley during a nest survey for almost ten years, I typically found 1
or 2 nests with 4 healthy juvs. doing well.

Since we started streaming live images (available at):
http://keepky.org/html/nest_cam_1_live_stream.html  KEEP has documented
that our live cam osprey nest is being watched by observers living in
12 different countries. USA is first, Germany is second and Canada is third. KY
has the most nest watchers and of all KY cities Corbin, KY has the most
watchers. Anyone know why Corbin is No. 1? I hope to discover the answer. Many
KY schools are observing our osprey nest, perhaps the students at Corbin are
doing their homework?

Due to heavy equipment noise, KEEP just scanned the area with the nest cam. A
new storage unit is being constructed across the road from the nest behind
another storage unit. This should cause no problems for our osprey nest but of
course we would prefer to hear songbirds singing in the background instead of
hearing construction equipment.

Our nest platform is within 50 ft. of a paved road leading to a condo area.
Ospreys do well and often adapt to human housing etc, preferring to nest on
man-made objects over or near water. The cam pair was attempting to nest on a
powerline transformer before we installed our 40 ft. tall osprey nesting
platform in cooperation with the local power company, Kenergy Electric.

Ed Ray, Hopkins Co.

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm