[birdky] John U Young Road Pond

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:12:07 -0500

After seeing Mark's post I decided to tough out the heat and see what I could
find at the John U Young Road Pond. I saw the same 6 shorebird species as Mark.
My  list included only one Semi-palmated Sandpiper, about the same number of
Killdeer and Least Sandpipers and several more Pectoral, Solitary & Spotted
Sandpipers. There were also 3 Great Blue Herons, a Green Heron, plus several
Mallards and Wood Ducks.
        For me, the highlight of the stop was encountering my favorite former
teacher, Dr. Edward Wayne Chester, Professor Emeritus at Austin Peay State
University. I hadn't seen him in more than ten years. We approached each other
warily, each thinking the other might be the land owner. As a botany professor,
his interest in being there was wetland plants.
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY