[birdky] INFO: Kentucky "Breeding Bird Surveys"

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:41:00 -0500

I am the KY coordinator for the Breeding Bird Survey, a federal program run by
the U.S. Geological Survey (I know ... what's the USGS doing overseeing bird
surveys ... just one of those goofy administrative associations you often find
in gov't). These are 24.5 mile driving routes that have been set for many
years. There are 50 stops at 1/2 mile intervals. Basically, you stop at each of
the 50 stops for 3 minutes and count birds seen and heard. They are run once
per year during late May to late June. There are in the neighborhood of 4000
routes scattered across the continent including 50 in Kentucky. You can get
more info about the program at the following link:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/about/ <http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/about/>

The reason I am emailing BIRDKY is that there are several routes that have
recently become "vacant" and that need to be assigned. Most are probably not
located near you and will require a drive to a nearby place to lodge overnight
or get up rather early (they start 1/2 hour before sunrise, which is anywhere
from 500 to 600 am depending on where the route starts). I am looking for folks
who know at least a majority of the songs and calls of Kentucky's regularly
breeding birds.

If you think you might be interested, please check out the link and contact me
by email this winter.

Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr. (KY BBS Coordinator)