[birdky] Hurrican Katrina photos from TN

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:08:50 -0500

If anyone is interested, I have posted some bad shots of the incredible day we
had yesterday at Pickwick Lake in TN, following Hurricane Katrina. Among the
highlights were Black Skimmer, Magnificent Frigatebird, Band-rumped
Storm-Petrel, Long-tailed Jaeger, a massive jaeger/skua that is either a
Pomarine or possibly the 2nd interior record of a Catharacta-type Skua, 3 Sooty
Terns, 50+ Laughing Gulls, Avocets at 2 locations, among others.

My photos are truly bad, but considering the birds and weather, here they are
anyway. The flight shots were taken at long-range through my scope, not easy in
good weather much less 30-mph winds. I'm sure better photos were taken.

The link is: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/hurrican_katrina_birds

Congrats on the Hurricane birds that are starting to show up in KY now as well.

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd