[birdky] Hummingbird Numbers & Vagrant Hummers

  • From: RESEARCH Hilton Pond <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY E-mail <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:11:05 -0400

Although the following was written for the Carolinas, it applies in general to most of the eastern half of the U.S. & Canada.

=======

Day-to-day changes in hummingbird numbers are the norm at this time of year as summer breeders leave and migrants move in from the north. I suspect that nearly all Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that bred (or were produced) this year in the Carolinas have already moved south, and that migrants moving through stay only for a day or two, if that long. Local weather patterns--as well as those north of us--have an influence on these movements; it is not known if RTHUs can sense weather to our south.

Peak RTHU numbers in most parts of the Carolinas occur during the last week in August and first two weeks in September, after which the numbers fall off rapidly and drastically, with 95% of the RTHUs gone by 1 Oct and 99.9% by 15 Oct. (A few may overwinter, especially in costal areas.)

The phenology of RTHU arrival and departure here at Hilton Pond are charted on the Web site for "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org/Chart01RTHUDates.html

Vagrant and western hummingbirds (especially Rufous and Green Violet-ear) are already being seen in the midwestern and eastern U.S., so keep your eyes peeled for "unusual-looking" hummers which should really stand out as RTHUs depart.

I would recommend leaving out ALL your feeders until mid-October to get the attention of late RTHUs and vagrants passing through, although it's not necessary to fill them all the way since fewer hummers drink less sugar water.

I further suggest you leave up a couple of feeders in easily observable locations after 15 October so you can spot winter vagrants. Leaving a feeder up will NOT deter heathy RTHUs from migrating; they are keyed to photoperiod and leave when the days get shorter.

Hints for maintaining winter feeders are on the Web site for Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ResearchHummerVagrantMain.html

If you get any vagrant hummingbirds this fall or winter--or ANY hummers after 15 Oct--please report them to me at mailto:research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx so I can help locate a bander to verify the species.

Happy Hummingbird Watching!

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY