[birdky] Hend. & Union Co. wandering

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:07:30 -0500

I thought I had better post something. I have been birding but slacked off on
posting to eBird or Birdky.
Last night I caught up on checklists I had sitting around (some going back to
September); took about an hour!

Today I hit Sauerheber Unit of the Sloughs, then checked Horseshoe Rd. slough,
a brief pass by Grassy Pond/Powells Lake Unit, then spent some time at the west
portion of Highland Creek Unit of the Sloughs, finally a stop to check on the
Yellow-crowned Night Heron nests at the eastern section of Highland Creek.

Conditions:

We had 1.5 inches of rain in 24 hours recently.

Shorebird Unit is full of water and weeds.
Pond Creek Marsh is full of water and filling with lotus.
Horseshoe Rd. slough is full of water.

Highlights:
most Great Egrets I have seen this year in KY.
Yellow-crowned Night Herons are doing well at their nests; Photos

I discovered the Anderson Pond Bald Eagles nest has 3 juvs. in it.
I had suspected it did, but finally got out the scope and confirmed it.

Sloughs WMA - Pond Creek Marsh, Shorebird Unit, Hardy Slough, Henderson, US-KY
Jun 5, 2013 6:40 AM - 8:25 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
35 species

Wood Duck  1
Mallard  1
Great Blue Heron  X
Great Egret  9     in 1s & 2s all flying SW to NE past the Sloughs
Bald Eagle  5     3 Juv. at Anderson Pond nest with 1 ad. over the nest, 1 im.
near Ohio River
Killdeer  2     at Shorebird Unit
Mourning Dove  X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  X
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  X
Great Crested Flycatcher  X
American Crow  X
Tree Swallow  X
Carolina Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  X
Eastern Bluebird  4     imm. at Shorebird Unit
Gray Catbird  1
Cedar Waxwing  10
Prothonotary Warbler  X
Common Yellowthroat  X
Yellow-breasted Chat  X
Field Sparrow  X
Northern Cardinal  X
Blue Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  X
Dickcissel  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  X
American Goldfinch  X

View this checklist online at

Sloughs WMA - Grassy Pond/Powells Lake, Henderson, US-KY
Jun 5, 2013 8:55 AM
Protocol: Incidental
8 species

Mallard  2
Great Blue Heron  X
Great Egret  3
Horned Lark  X
European Starling  X
Dickcissel  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X

View this checklist online at

Sloughs WMA - Highland Creek west, Union, US-KY
Jun 5, 2013 9:15 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
26 species (+1 other taxa)

Wild Turkey  1
Great Blue Heron  X
Turkey Vulture  X
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  X
Barred Owl  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Eastern Wood-Pewee  X
Acadian Flycatcher  X
Empidonax sp.  X
Great Crested Flycatcher  X
Red-eyed Vireo  X
American Crow  X
Horned Lark  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Carolina Wren  3
European Starling  X
Prothonotary Warbler  X
Northern Parula  2
Northern Cardinal  X
Indigo Bunting  X
Dickcissel  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Brown-headed Cowbird  X

View this checklist online at

Sloughs WMA - Highland Creek Unit, Union, US-KY
Jun 5, 2013 11:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Only stopped here to check on the Yellow-crowned Night Herons
nests
2 species

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  7     Photos.  Observed 4 nests: 1 with 3 juv., 1
with 2 juv., 1 with 1 adult, and 1 occupied but unable to determine maturity
Prothonotary Warbler  X

View this checklist online at

Charlie
Henderson Co.

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm