[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, 7/16 Cape Hills, 7/17 Jenny Hole

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:43:22 -0500

More summer birding.

No real highlights.

Conditions around western Henderson Co.: We had a lot of rain, but not
apparently as much as those to the east of us.
All possible shorebird sites are flooded with no mud flats except across KY268
from Muddy Slough.
Access to Highland Creek Unit is impassible due to high water.
Access to Jenny Hole Unit is only via KY136 to Klondike Road, access via
Burbank Road or Ranch Road is impassible due to high water.
Lots of water standing in the beans at the old River Slough.

The Ohio River is not expected to fall below Minor Flood Stage until the 22nd,
and below Action Stage until the 23rd.

I have been birding western Henderson County since 1982 and this is the most
standing water I believe I have seen in July. Looks like early spring.
Horseshoe Road slough should have lots of mudflats by now. But the water level
is up into the crops.

Gnats, mosquitoes and deer flies continue to harass.

KY Sloughs WMA - Cape Hills Unit, Henderson, Kentucky, US
Jul 16, 2015 6:30 AM - 8:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
24 species (+1 other taxa)

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Acadian Flycatcher 6
Empidonax sp. 1
White-eyed Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 2
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Wood Thrush 5
Kentucky Warbler 3
Northern Parula 2
Eastern Towhee 7
Summer Tanager 2
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Blue Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 4
Dickcissel 1
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24284363>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org
<http://ebird.org/>)

KY Sloughs WMA - Jenny Hole Unit (Henderson Co.), Henderson, Kentucky, US
Jul 17, 2015 6:35 AM - 8:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.3 mile(s)
33 species