[birdky] Have some questions

  • From: Barbara Joe Schmidlapp napora <barbara2joe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:04:28 -0400

This is my first year of backyard birdwatching so all of this is new. I have
had the delight of watching since March a red-shouldered Hawks nest. It began
when I saw the mother and father mating ( quite by accident). I searched and
located the nest in the back some weeks later and have had the joy of watching
as this family evolved. All this time , I have been feeding many birds at two
walnut logs as platform feeding. In the past 3 weeks, one or maybe it is two of
the immatures ( I don't know enough to identify the differences and only see
one at a time most of the time) appears at the log or vicinity every night.
He/she is literally sitting on the log or a low nearby branch. I have read the
Hawks struggle to live. I am having less birds and certainly when he/she is
around. But the birds come out other times. So , I need advice as do I continue
what I am doing? I can accept the whole balance of nature thing but would
appreciate information from more experienced folks. I am worried that the Hawk
is not learning to hunt as it may be to easy and of course I love my backyard
birds.

Thank you in advance,

Barbara Schmidlapp
Ashland, Kentucky

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:30:30 -0400
> From: ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: birdky Digest V6 #224
>
> birdky Digest Mon, 10 Sep 2007        Volume: 06  Issue: 224
>
> In This Issue:
>               [birdky] Re: Bluebirds
>               [birdky] Re: Bluebirds
>               [birdky] RPT:  Red knot at Jonathan Creek
>               [birdky] Bluebirds, Pike
>               [birdky] wood storks at Jonathan
>               [birdky] Green River & Casey Creek
>               [birdky] BKY:  Riverwalk in Jefferson County
>               [birdky] Falls of the Ohio
>               [birdky] RPT:  Louisville weekend sightings, Sept. 8-9

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
> From: j arnold <alee04lacebark@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [birdky] Re: Bluebirds
>
> After having five babies fledge in two different
> nestboxes and keeping three birdbaths full of clean
> water, we too have noticed an absence of bluebirds in
> our area. They usually use the birdbaths and hang
> around the trees in this sort of weather. Wonder
> what's happened to them?
>
> We also fed mealworms to the parents of the first four
> babies, while they were incubating and feeding the
> young.
>
> Judy Arnold
> Northern Shelby County
>
> --- Terry Anderson <tpaulanderson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Bluebirds seem to be doing well in my neck of the
> > woods. I see several on my
> > walks including recently fledged ones. I saw about
> > 10 yesterday morning, and
> > have had then bathing at my birdbath recently.
> >
> > Terry Anderson
> > Anderson County
> > Avenstoke area
> >
> > >From: Doris Tichenor <dctichenor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >Subject: [birdky] Bluebirds
> > >Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:17:14 -0400
> > >
> > >We have seen very few bluebirds all this season,
> > none at all  recently. We
> > >used to see quite a few young bluebirds this time
> > of  year. They would come
> > >to our birdbath in the afternoon. None of that
> > this year.
> > >
> > >Doris Tichenor/ Butler County
> > the Subject line.
> > >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > Visit the Kentucky
> > >Ornithological Society
> > >web site at http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos.htm
> > >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > BIRDKY List Manager: Gary
> > >Ritchison, Richmond, KY
> > >E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx

> > Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
> > web site at http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos.htm
> > BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY
> > E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx

> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
> today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

> Subject: [birdky] Re: Bluebirds
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:35:12 -0400
> [...]

Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo!
http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_wlmailtextlink