[birdky] Hardin County Cranes 30 January 2007

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:26:23 -0800 (PST)

I spent a good part of the day with the Sandhill
Cranes in Hardin County.  When I arrived mid-morning,
there were only a few hundred cranes visible in the
fields along hwy 86 with the closest to the road being
just west of the fire department.  I watched a number
of flocks in the air both north and south of 86 that
were settling into distant fields which I couldn't
see.  A trip around the loop to the north yielded few
birds visible from the road.  A trip along the roads
to the south of Franklin Cross Roads yielded views of
several hundred birds in fields.  I then returned to
the area along 86 hoping for photo opportunities.

About 12-12:30 CST, a large number of birds arrived
from the south and settled into fields in the area
although most couldn't be seen from the hwy.  A short
time later, an impressive number of birds arose to the
north and began settling/milling about the area.  An
immature Bald Eagle then arrived from the north which
put all the cranes into flight, the view and sound
being spectacular.

I began an attempt to count the birds which was
useless, so I took a series of photos panning
approximately 120 degrees and of the area of highest
density of birds.  I estimated that I photographed
between 60-70 percent of the birds in the air at that
time.  When I counted the birds in the images later I
came up with 3960 birds which would make the total
visible in the air at the time approximately 6000
cranes!

Many of these birds later settled back into the
fields, but a large number moved off the to south and
west.  As the afternoon wore on, most birds moved off
in that direction, and when I departed, several flocks
were visible VERY high in the sky well to the south of
Stephensburg and as far east as the junction of 222
and W.Ky.Parkway.

I also encountered a northbound flock of approximately
300 cranes over I65 near Horse Cave.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.