[birdky] Female Long-tailed Duck - Sloughs WMA, Wood Tract south

  • From: Mary Yandell <mtwyandell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY listserve <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 13:02:38 -0400

In addition to Charlie's report yesterday from the Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber
Unit, late yesterday afternoon Ben and I found a female Long-tailed Duck in
winter plumage. She was hanging out with several Scaup and coots in Wood
Tract south in a flooded field (opposite side of road from where the Tundra
Swans were reported). Looking into the late afternoon sun, bad heat waves
and the fact she was sleeping most of the time made for less then ideal
viewing conditions. Before we left she began actively feeding.

Mary Yandell
Louisville