[birdky] FW: Sibley Guide to Birds, 2nd ed.

  • From: Mark Tower <markdt7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 13:46:38 -0500

Just FYI, see below regarding the alleged free replacement of the 1st printing
2nd ed Sibley guide.……………………………….

Good morning,

We are writing in reply to your recent request for a copy of the 2nd printing
of the above title.  We regret any inconvenience,
however complimentary replacements for individuals with the first printing of
this edition are not available.

The Sibley Guide to Birds was never meant to be a static publication. 'My goal
is for birders everywhere to have the best possible experience
With my guidebooks,’ says Sibley, ‘and I will continue to make adjustments to
ensure that is the case.' In the first edition of his landmark book,
author David Sibley made revisions over the course of several printings In an
effort to achieve the most accurate rendering of his work. This has
continued with the second edition of The Sibley Guide to Birds, with David
making several refinements, including type and color adjustments, in
the second printing. The second printing is now off press and available in
bookstores.

Thank you for your interest in this title.  If you have not yet seen the 2nd
printing you may find it at your local bookstore.

Consumer Services
AS-3916
 ………………………………….
A couple of comments:
1) A belated agreement/apology to Rob Lane. The 1st printing 2nd ed. is (in the
world of birdwatching) catastrophically off in it's coloring. I think I was
reticent to admit it earlier after I ponied up so much money for it.
2) Why can't folks just tell the truth? In this case it would sound something
like this: We (the publisher) or I (Sibley) admit this 1st printing 2nd edition
has been a marked disappointment. We acknowledge the printing's extreme
shortcomings (they are not within the "normal," "expected" refinements with
subsequent printings). We are doing everything we can to change these mistakes
in subsequent printings. We feel terrible to those of you who were waiting with
anticipation the new 2nd edition and bought this 1st printing. However we are
unable financially/economically to fully "make it right" with you and freely
replace your 1st printing. I hope you feel our deepest regret.
That would have been nice, instead of the pandering, disingenuous response I
received above. I hope I stick with this resolution, but I'd like to say
that'll be the last Sibley book I buy.
Mark TowerLexington, KY