[birdky] Eastern Hend. Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:45:21 -0600

Finally got some Rusties!

I went out yesterday looking for one of the Red-necked Grebes everybody is
seeing, and hoping for some Rusties.
I struck out on the Grebe at the largest lake in the area: Peewee Lake in
Madisonville (a fisherman in a boat kept the waterfowl down.)
Next onto Higginson-Henry WMA in Union Co. Perfect Rusty Blackbird habitat. No
luck.

Today I got some Rusties at Sandy Lee Watkins Park. No waterfowl, instead more
fishermen trying to catch recently released trout.

KY Green River State Forest (Henderson Co.), Henderson, US-KY
Mar 8, 2014 7:20 AM - 9:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
28 species

Canada Goose  20
Wood Duck  3     1 coming out of nest hole
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  8
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
American Robin  3
European Starling  X
Eastern Towhee  30
American Tree Sparrow  11
Field Sparrow  1
Fox Sparrow  18
Song Sparrow  X
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  23
Northern Cardinal  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X

View this checklist online at

KY Sandy L. Watkins Henderson Co. Park, Henderson, US-KY
Mar 8, 2014 10:00 AM - 11:05 AM
Protocol: Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz
2.5 mile(s)
12 species

Northern Harrier  2
Killdeer  11