[birdky] Common Ground Dove & Fulton Co

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:11:29 EST

Roseanna and I starting the weekend hawk watching along the levee in Fulton
County.  Our final count was 27 Red Tailed Hawks, 5 Bald Eagles, 2 Harriers,
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 Red-shouldered and 10 Kestrel.  We had 3 Red-tailed
hawks of particular interest.  Dave Roemer located a light morph Harlan's for
us to study. We came across a Western and another dark bird with a white tail
outside of Fulton, KY.
Of course, the highlight of the weekend was the Common Ground-Dove at Lake
#9.  The bird was enjoyed and photographed by birders from near and far.  It
has been concluded that it is a female Western bird.  We can look forward to
seeing photographs taken by Jeff Wilson, Nancy Moore and David Roemer .
The bird seems to be comfortable in its setting and will hopefully stay
around for birders to enjoy.  It is a sweet little bird!!!
Other sightings of interest were:
Greater White-fronted Geese - 417 one juvenile Tundra race
Snow Geese - 75
Ross' Goose - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Dunlin - 8
Wilson's Snipe - 98
Horned Lark - many
American Pipit - 100
Loggerhead Shrike - 3
Thanks to all who helped get the word out about the Dove.  It was as much fun
sharing the bird with others as it was finding it.
Hap
Murray, KY