[birdky] Clay-Colored sparrow & Bald Eagle @ Lake Cumberland

  • From: Karen Bonsell <timforpres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all! I really apologize for sending this out so late, but it has been
such
a busy month. I can't believe May is almost over!
On Mothers Day, I went down to Shippingport Island to check on the Osprey, and
saw a little sparrow just foraging around on the ground near the fence where
the
Osprey nest is located. I took a couple of pics and went on my way, not
thinking
any more about it until I was on a field trip with Beckham bird club a few
weeks
later. I showed the pic to Eddie Huber and he thought it was a clay-colored
sparrow. So I sent it on to Brainard Palmer-Ball for a second opinion (at
Eddie's request) & he confirmed it also! I have posted it to ebird also. You
can
read about my experience at louisvillenaturally.com if you like! But, I will
include links to my pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5720915920/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5720357983/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5720915484/

Unfortunately, being a newish birder, I had no clue what I was seeing. If I
had,
I certainly would've posted it right away. I had gone back about a week later
and saw no sign of him.

As for the Ospreys, they seem to be doing well! I checked on them last week
after we had our "big" storm and thank goodness they were still there nest and
all! There hasn't been much to report since they seem to be sitting on eggs
after their last rebuild. I'm assuming they hadn't laid eggs yet when they had
to rebuild after April's big storm. The storm occured on April 19th., & by May
4th, I'm sure they were sitting on the nest. I only saw one Osprey leaving at a
time, & he seemed to be bringing her food. Since Ospreys incubate for about 5
weeks. I am guesstimating anywhere between the first to third week of June they
could hatch. Every time that I've been down there since, she is always on the
nest!

And about the Bald Eagle, while we were at Lake Cumberland this weekend, I saw
beautiful Bald Eagle flying around in the Wolf Creek area. I took several pics
of it, but haven't downloaded them just yet. I know that last year they had a
nest in the Wolf Creek area, so I'm assuming that maybe they do again this
year!
Hopefully, later in the summer I will see some of the young in that area also!!
~Karen Bonsell
  Louisville, KY

Louisvillenaturally.com