[birdky] Cerulean, etc.

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:30:57 -0400

This morning Les and I went scouting for wild black raspberries and
birds! Well, we found more birds than berries. Despite all the evidence
of “global warming”, berries are not ripening as early as they used to,
or maybe it is BECAUSE of global warming. We went to a high ridge with a
narrow dirt road which looks down on Pike County on one side and to
Martin County on the other side. I looked back in my journal and I had
recorded seeing CERULEAN WARBLERS about every 50’ or so on June 15,
2005. But, they have been much sparser since then, and today I can
report seeing only ONE CERULEAN. And none have shown up yet here in
Happy Valley, or at least I have seen/heard none so far. We saw a total
of about 30 species with no other stand-outs. We did encounter a
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO up close and personal who lingered with us for a
long time. Of course we have them here near the house all the time, but
I still love seeing them anytime, any place. There was an abundance of
WHITE-EYED VIREOS, RED-EYED VIREOS, BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS,
YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, ETC.

Closer to home the following have fledged: TREE SWALLOWS, EASTERN
BLUEBIRDS, CEDAR WAXWINGS (a first for us at the lower elevation), and
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS.

Cheers to all,
Joan Carr, Happy Valley, South Williamson, Pike Co., KY

Checked by AVG.
6/13/2008 6:33 AM