[birdky] Re: CAPERTON SWAMP

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:54:11 -0400

I do hope that everyone caught that Brainard was kidding.  Actually, I would
be put the issue of "too many birders" in Louisville or Kentucky or the U.S.
in the "good problem to have" category.

I know from watching others' posts to BIRDKY that having a favorite place
that you repeatedly bird is common.  I highly recommend picking somewhere
and keeping good records about what you see after repeated trips different
times of the year.  I keep threatening to write an article called "The Joy
of Keeping Records."

As for the thinly veiled implication that I might be a bit of a data freak,
I'll just point out the following in my defense:
 * I've only been to Caperton 464 times.
 * My total time there = 1,480.90 hours (minimum = 1:25; maximum = 8:20;
substracting any breaks, of course).
 * Minimum starting temperature was -4; maximum was 94.
 * Number of bird species seen per trip has ranged from 12 to 75, with an
average (mean) = 34.31).

"Detail-retentive personality."  Please.

Ben Yandell
Louisville