[birdky] Re: Buff-breasted Sandpipers

  • From: "bennetts" <bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:39:40 -0500

I am not sure if it is time to switch names on the Snipe yet.  It is my
understanding that AOU has made the change from Common Snipe to Wilson's
Snipe official (due to a split with a European variety).  ABA lags behind.
I suppose you can get by with either for now.  Isn't it true that 50 years
ago, it was Wilson's Snipe, then it was lumped with a European Species to
become Common Snipe and now we have gone full circle to Wilson's Snipe
again.  This reminds me of the Education profession.

Perhaps one of our esteemed or un-esteemed Ornithologists can enlighten the
group.

Mark & TG Bennett
Russellville, KY
Logan County