[birdky] Black-necked Stilts nesting?, N. Shovelers

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:25:36 -0500

June 22, 2008

6AM to 10:30AM
Mostly Cloudy 63º rising to 82º

I checked out Horseshoe Road sloughs, Honey Cypress Slough, 268 slough, and Pond Creek Marsh.

Highlights:

2 Black-necked Stilts at Horseshoe Road sloughs. I parked on the road to check out the single Black-necked Stilt I could see. As I started walking toward the slough it was in, it noticed me. It then quickly crossed from one side of the slough to the other, where I had previously seen it. When I was about 100 feet away, it flew up and circled me, calling, and landed behind me in the adjacent soy bean field. While it was circling me another Stilt flew up from where the first had flown. They both ended up behind me in the soy bean field. They acted just like Killdeer, trying to distract me from where I was going. At this point I abandoned the walk and returned to my Jeep. Looks like a breeding pair that has a nest nearby.

N. Shovelers. The pair is still occupying Honey Cypress Slough (part of Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit). Also there were several Hooded Mergansers and a brood of Mergansers.

Bald Eagles. The adult and 2 Juvs. are still hanging around next to Anderson Pond-Pond Creek Marsh area.

Charlie
Henderson Co.