[birdky] Birds/rattlesnake

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:38:59 -0400

Hi All,
Well, I should have titled this e-mail : BIRDS/BERRIES/RATTLESNAKE. Les
and I picked blackberries back on the ridge where we had picked black
raspberries a couple of week ago. Several birds serenaded/fussed as we
picked: YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, CEDAR WAXWING, WHITE-EYED VIREO, C. WREN,
CERULEAN WARBLER, BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, INDIGO BUNTING, SCARLET TANAGER,
AMERICAN REDATART, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. While Les was back in a deep
thicket of berries, I discovered a HUGE TIMBER RATTLESNAKE which someone
had killed. Of course I was happy not to have encountered a live one;
however, I was very sorry to see that such a beautiful creature had been
killed, especially when it was in its own territory. Afterwards I also
went back into a thicket of berry vines and we picked 3 gallons of BIG
LUSCIOUS blackberries. We also saw one LARGE SOFT SHELL TURTLE near the
creek further down the mountain. Other birds seen this week: BLUEBIRD,
BARN SWALLOW, CHIMNEY SWIFT, BELTED KINGFISHER, GREEN HERONS, BLUE
HERON, YELLOW WARBLER, BROWN THRASHER, COMMON GRACKLE, CLIFF SWALLOW, WB
NUTHATCH, OVENBIRD, COMMON GRACKLE, C. CHICKADEE, BLUE JAY, BG
GNATCATCHER, TOWHEE, EASTERN PHOEBE, ETC.

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature in Pike County
South Williamson