[birdky] Re: Birds and Bees

  • From: "Bonnie Jacobs" <raincrow7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 08:02:43 -0400

Hi Kathy,

    I have no idea if this would work, it's just a thought, but you might
try a decoy feeding station for the bees. I used to keep honey bees and
would feed them a sugar water mix in a zip lock bag laid flat and slit with
a sharp knife. The surface tension of the sugar water kept it from leaking
out and the bees would line up along the slit opening like pigs at a trough.
If you use a gallon size zip lock bag the slit would be about six or seven
inches. The bag is not full to bursting, either, maybe a quart or two in a
gallon bag. Have the bag elevated; resting on something that would bring it
to a height the bees like.you might have to experiment. And, with luck, it
would lure them from the bird feeder.

Bonnie Jacobs

Lexington, KY

PS I've been aware of the effectiveness of decoys since I have blueberries
and raspberries in my yard which were completely ignored by the birds for as
long as the service berry tree had berries. Since the service berries
finished last week, I haven't had any more ripe blueberries or
raspberries.the birds get them all.