[birdky] Birding with Kathryn Clay at her Rough River Lake property/ 2-2--04

  • From: "joyce porter" <joycelporter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:27:05 -0600

Kathryn has a big pond on the property and we sat in lawn chairs on her
patio in close
proximity to the feeders.

Soon the resident Great Blue Heron made his approach over
the tall trees surrounding the  pond and landed in the shallow water near
the far bank.
The heron's arrival did not disturb the birds at the feeders on our side of
the pond but
Kathryn's 'Maggie' dog was greatly interested in the Great Blue and made a
bee-line to the
waters edge and we had to do a great deal of whistling and calling to coax
Maggie back
in our direction wth Kathryn promising her a raw hamburger.
At the feeders were:

*12 Purple  Finches( 4 males and 8 females)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Goldfinches
Junco
Chickadees

We then took a walk through the pine woods where the Wild Turkeys had
scratched and dug
practically ever inch of the trail to the lakes edge. Also littering the
ground under the Pine trees
were broken twigs and branches from the Vultures that roost there.

3 Ring-billed Gulls were circling about the lake.

It was a great day at Kathryn's Bird Sanctuary on the lake.

Joyce Porter