[birdky] BirdKY: Sandhill Cranes in Cecilia area

  • From: P & J BELL <patjanebell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:52:20 -0800

We drove down to Cecilia today to see the cranes that are in the surrounding
fields. It is truly a spectacular sight to see these birds flying constantly
overhead and filling many of the agricultural fields in the vicinity. We
estimated that we saw as many as 6500 cranes, but we are not very good at
estimating such large numbers. A good road to travel is KY 1375 which is off KY
86. From Cecilia go west on 86 to Franklin Crossroads (1375) then turn left.
Walmoth Lane is a dead end road on the right that has no traffic and lots of
birds.

We also had 1 mature Bald Eagle and 4 Eurasian Collared Doves. We birded the
area between 10 and 12 EST.

Hope you get a chance to view these cranes.

Pat Bell
Jane Bell
Louisville