[birdky] Barn Owl Nest Inventory and specimen collection

  • From: "Heyden, Kathryn (FW)" <kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>
  • To: birdkentucky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:31:56 +0000

WANTED: INFORMATION ON KENTUCKY BARN OWLS
I just wanted to let everyone know that we are very interested in any reports
on nesting barn owls.  We are conducting a statewide inventory of barn owl
nests again in 2013 so that we may expand our research on this rare species.
If you know of a barn owl nest and have not yet been communicating with me
about it, please contact me, off of the listserve.  I can be reached at
kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx<mailto:kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>.  For the protection of the
owls and the landowners, exact nesting locations and landowner information for
barn owl nests is strictly confidential and will not be released to the public.

Barn owls remain quite rare in Kentucky despite a large amount of suitable
habitat.  We currently know of only 25 nesting locations statewide.  We are
hoping to expand our nest inventory to include more nests in hopes to better
understand the reasons for decline in this species.  Barn owls can nest
year-round in KY, though most of the nesting activity occurs from March-August.
 Barn owls pairs tend to become a bit more conspicuous this time of year as
they return to nest sites and prepare for the coming nesting season.  As many
of you know, barn owls can nest in some very strange places including silos,
grain bins, chimneys, hay lofts, attics, and shooting houses.

We are also now collecting barn owl specimens to test for possible causes of
decline.  It's very important that we collect as many dead owls as possible for
the study.  Fresh specimens are preferred, but slightly decomposed specimens
are still useful.  Even if the cause of death is obvious (e.g. collision with
vehicle) the specimen is still useful.   I've found several just watching the
roadsides. Please notify me if you find a dead barn owl so that we may use the
specimen for our project.  To be clear, it is not illegal to pick up a
migratory bird carcass with the intentions of getting to it a federally
permitted researcher/agency as soon as possible.  However, it is illegal to
keep a protected bird carcass for your own personal use.

More info on barn owls can be found on our website at:

http://fw.ky.gov/barnowls.asp

Thanks very much,

Kate

Kate Heyden
Avian Biologist
Nongame Branch
KY Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY  40601
Phone:  1-800-858-1549 ext. 4475
Fax:  502-564-4519
kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx<mailto:kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>
www.fw.ky.gov<http://www.fw.ky.gov/>

Did you know... Department of Fish and Wildlife receives NO state tax dollars
and manages wildlife for all citizens?
Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, by e-mail, and

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm