[birdky] Ballard County Shorebird Habitat

  • From: "Scott and Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:50:12 -0500

Spent some time this morning in Ballard County pursuing turkeys.  Thought I
would check out the area shorebird habitat on the way home.  I was disappointed
to find very little habitat available.  The best spot on Boatwright is the
water hole just below Fish Lake bridge on Hollowell Landing Rd.  There were
about 60 Yellowlegs, a solitary, several Great egrets, Little Blues and Snowy
egrets in this mud hole.  On Ballard WMA Mitchell Lake is bank full.  Lower
Beaver Dam is low with high vegetation and very little mudflat.  Happy Hollow,
Burnt Slough and Cook Slough have a little wader habitat and little more.  All
other "moist soil units" are dry.  Heavy rains are forecast and may improve
conditions locally for the short term but it looks like spring shorebird
habitat at Ballard is a bust.  Birds of interest include:

AMERICAN BITTERN 1  (Observed on Boatwright unit.)
Great Egret  35
Little Blue Heron  5
Snowy Egret  4
Solitary Sandpiper  2