[birdky] Bald cardinal and Carolina Wren behavior

  • From: Bruce Cryder <b.cryder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:31:18 -0400

I saw in my backyard this evening an adult male cardinal completely devoid of feathers above the neck -- very strange looking. Also, we have a pair of Carolina Wrens that have been building a nest on a shelf in our garage. On several occasions I've noticed that when I open the garage door in the morning, the wrens immediately make a bee- line for the shelf. This morning I was working from home at the kitchen table, so didn't open the garage door at the usual time. Before long the two wrens appeared on the patio flitting from chair to chair, obviously quite agitated. I ignored them and kept working. Apparently, they believed I was not getting the message, so they departed and then re-appeared, this time with nesting material, and proceeded to hop around on the windowsill directly in front of me, seemingly looking me right in the eye, as if to say, "Dude, can't you take a hint?" Feeling guilty, I opened the door and in they flew. I found it quite interesting that they obviously knew someone in the house needed to open the door, and were consciously trying to prod me to do so.

Bruce Cryder, Lexington
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY