[birdky] BKY:RPT: Bald Eagle in Mongommery Co.

  • From: "Gerald Robe" <ghrobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 22:46:12 -0400

At about 7:30 PM this evening, my next door neighbor, Thomas, rang my doorbell
and informed me that there was a Bald Eagle sitting in a tree across the street
from our houses.
I quickly grabbed my birding gear and went over to his house, where he pointed
the bird out to me. Sure enough, it was an adult-plumaged Bald Eagle, sitting
in a tree about 150 yards away!

Thomas and his wife, Susan, told me that they had first seen the bird flying
around, but thought it was a vulture until Susan noticed the white tail. They
watched it fly up into a tree, where it was still perched when they came over
and got me.

The bird stayed in the tree for about 45 minutes while we watched and
photographed it through my spotting scope. After that, it took off and flew
into a nearby oak tree that was covered with leaves. Looking through the scope,
we could just make out its tail behind the leaves. We lost the light shortly
after that, so I assume the bird was perched there for the night. While it was
flying, I saw some light-colored feathers in its wing linings, so I would say
it was a young adult.

If you look at the DeLorme Atlas, page 39 G-17, the tree where the Eagle came
to rest is just to the left of the first "M" in "McCormick Road".

What a great "yard bird"!

Gerald H. Robe
Mt. Sterling, KY
ghrobe@xxxxxxxxx