[birdky] Re: BKY: Black Terns Fishing Creek

  • From: Ed Ray <edrayosprey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx, BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

About same no. of black terns flying so. low over Lake Barkley main lake
yesterday out from mouth of Little River.  Seeing more Caspian terns.

Ed Ray
Trigg Co.

Roseanna <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I paddled up to the mudflats on Fishing Creek, L Cumberland again this evening.
A Great Blue Heron
behind a bush in the water as I paddled by thought it was hid and didn't fly
off as usual, bringing
a smile to my face. At first I didn't see anything different and the Little
Blues weren't around,
then a few things started to drop in. Before I left one of the Little Blues
flew in and began to
feed.

Least Sandpiper 11
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Spotted Sandpiper 7
Killdeer approx. 40
Black Terns 14 all adults just beginning to go into nonbreeding plumage. (At
one point they fed
around me so close that I didn't need binoculars to enjoy them.)

~Roseanna Denton
Science Hill, KY
Pulaski County