[birdky] ASK/CKAS at Camp Nelson

  • From: Tina Nauman <tinanauman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 17:22:15 -0400

The Rest of the Story beyond David Lang's report.

The set of 3 photos of very distant Kestrels seem to show an interesting
series. 1. Kestrels in apparent nest with starlings above. 2. Starling
moves to just above them. 3. There appears to be a black head in between
the Kestrels in the nest.

Besides birding the morning also included Mark Tower and me getting
separated from the rest of the group as our short woodland loop turned into
a never-ending death march. As we whooped and hollered for the others Mark
decided that maybe they'd respond to bird calls. I found out he's great at
mimicking a great number of birds but his very best was a Henslow's Sparrow
although it didn't get the attention of the group or a sparrow. I also
discovered how fast he can walk through really tall grass and how well he
can scale a tall, rusty barbed wire fence as he keeps repeating "I'm dead,
I'm really dead this time" when he realizes he is about to once again
experience the exasperation of his wife for being late because of birds.
I'm pretty sure his wife is a saint!

http://tinanauman.zenfolio.com/p74493888

Tina Nauman
Lexington, KY