[birdky] ASK at Spindletop

  • From: Mark Tower <markdt7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 14:00:20 -0400

ASK had an outing this morning to Spindletop farm. The weather that started
quite chilly, turned perfect by the end of the morning. We enjoyed a 7 sparrow
day (field, chipping, song, savannah, vesper, white-crowned, and swamp). While
we maybe were hoping for a little more sparrow diversity, we made up for it in
numbers. We surely had 30+ of both the song and savannah! Also a highlight were
a small group (~4) of vesper sparrows we had on our way out of the farm.
Another highlight surely was flushing 2 short-eared owls. They circled around
for a minute or two, giving good in-flight looks.
We spent several minutes analyzing an obliging blackbird before settling
on…common grackle. We wanted a rusty blackbird, but couldn't rustle one up.
No rails…were seen (surely they were hiding!)

Spindletop Research Farm, Fayette, US-KY
Apr 4, 2015 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
46 species

Canada Goose 8
Gadwall 1
Mallard 1
Blue-winged Teal 5
Ring-necked Duck 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-tailed Hawk 2
American Coot 1
Killdeer 2
Wilson's Snipe 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 12
Mourning Dove 29
Short-eared Owl 2 flushed by the river, circled for several minutes. harassed
by blackbirds.
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
American Kestrel 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 7
Horned Lark 4
Purple Martin 4
Tree Swallow 21
Barn Swallow 6
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 19
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 34
Eastern Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 3
Field Sparrow 3
Vesper Sparrow 4
Savannah Sparrow 31 several fields of 10+ birds
Song Sparrow 33
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow 7
Dark-eyed Junco 4