[birdky] ADDENDUM eBird Report - Falls of the Ohio (KY) , 7/8/10

  • From: rod <rodmanprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom and Colleen Becker <cbirding@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:55:13 -0700 (PDT)

Because of all the confusion eBird's Falls of the Ohio hotspot causes, I've
created a Falls of the Ohio (KY) hotspot (or, I should say, submitted it for
consideration) so observations made from the Indiana shore but that are
technically located in Kentucky can be accurately recorded. I humbly recommend
all eBirders use the Falls of the Ohio (KY) hotspot for recording their
observations when appropriate in the future. (Please see Notes section below.)

Location:     Falls of the Ohio (KY)
Observation date:     7/8/10
Notes:     This observation replaces identical data entered under eBirds Falls
of the Ohio (IN) "hotspot." (Which I have deleted.) I have created a Falls of
the Ohio (KY) "hotspot" on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River for the purposes
of accurately recording observations that while not made at that exact
location,
do count as being in Kentucky. 7/8/2010, 12:15-12:30: Received a bird alert
from
fellow Beckham Bird Club member Barbara Woerner of a juvenile White Ibis at the
Falls of the Ohio State Park located by Eddie Huber (also Beckham member).
Eddie
was still at the Falls when I arrived and allowed me to view the bird with his
scope. Observed a juvenile White Ibis feeding in the shallows more than 1/4
mile
out, nearly to the dam. Technically, this makes the bird in Kentucky rather
than
Indiana, as the Indiana state border extends only 100 feet out into the Ohio
River. I was able to observe the bird for several minutes before it moved into
the vegetation. Also observed an adult Bald Eagle on the wing above the Ibis'
location. It then flew to the Kentucky bank and landed in a tree. Weather: 91F,
wind W 6MPH, humidity 50%, UV index 8, dew point 70F, visibility 8 mi. McAlpine
Dam lower guage approximately 10 ft.
Number of species:     2

White Ibis     1
Bald Eagle     1

Thanks Eddie for another life bird. I think I owe you at least seven or eight
now. Thanks for letting me know, Barbara.

Good birding,

Rod Botkins
Louisville, KY