[birdky] A mammal flies by

  • From: "Katharine W. Cohen" <kwcoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 21:02:18 -0600

I was admiring a large gathering of gulls above and on the water this
afternoon, when something small and bright caught my eye. It was darting
over a little inlet quite near me, and it seemed to be catching insects. I
realized that it was a bat, but I had never seen this behavior on a winter
afternoon before. In fact, in the 26 years I have lived on the Blood River,
I have never seen this sort of bat. I finally determined that it must have
been a male Eastern red bat--quite a beautiful fellow and very industrious.
I guess that he must have roused from his nap because of the warmth this
afternoon, and he was snacking while he could, preparatory to going back to
sleep until winter is really over. If I am wrong, I would not mind correction!

This mammal was a nice addition to the hundreds of gulls and other birds on
the wing today.

Kathy Cohen
Murray, KY (Calloway County)
kwcoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx