[birdky] 4 November 2002

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:48:06 -0800 (PST)

A check of Lake Cumberland above Wolf Creek Dam
yielded the following species of interest and
approximate numbers:

Bonaparte's Gull  130
Ring-billed Gull 30
Herring Gull 6
Horned Grebe 6
Common Loon 8
Red-breasted Merganser
L. Scaup  10
Gr. Scaup 1
Ring-necked Duck  6
Pintail 1 female

A stop by Barren Reservoir produced the following
highlights in the Mason's Island area:

Franklin's Gull  2  adult and 1st yr.
Bonaparte's Gull  150
Ring-billed Gull 50
C. Loon  App. 50 with 43 in one flock
Horned Grebe 37
L. Scaup 20
Ring-necked Duck 12
Ruddy Duck
Am. Wigeon 2
Mallard  8

A Bald Eagle in its first adult plumage (trace of dark
in tail and whitish streaking on body and in wing
linings) was making repeated dives at the ducks.  This
sparked a fabulous yodel-fest by the loons which
sounded as if all 43 birds yodeled continuously for a
couple of minutes.  Hearing their calls echoing across
the still water was an experience I wish I could have
shared with everyone.

A pair of Tree Swallows was seen feeding in the Walnut
Creek area.

At least one or two calling Sandhill Cranes were heard
in Boyd County, but were hidden by the low clouds.

Dave