[bikeshed] Loading the ramdisk

  • From: David Larsen <dcl9934@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bikeshed Development <bikeshed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 03:43:56 -0400

Hi Walter,

So, I'll be merging master into my branch in a few days (and later my branch into master (once I implement the syscalls)). I want to be sure that I remember how we decided we should load the ramdisk into memory.

I'll have FancyCat load the filesystem at 0x40 0000 in physical memory and map the filesystem to 0xE000 0000 in virtual memory (after the kernel heap).

I'll use __phys_set_bit() to mark those pages as occupied and __virt_map_page() to actually map 0x40 0000 physical -> 0xE000 0000 virtual. I'll have to use these in 4kb page increments.

I'm going to leave the filesystem size at 120kb in the meantime, but I should eventually be able to expand it to 508MiB, correct?

Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks,
David