[bigbangrobotics] BATTLEBEACH III Report

  • From: Jay Johnson <tallyjay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free List <bigbangrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

BATTLEBEACH III Report
What a way to kick off the 2005 robot combat season!
87 bots met in Daytona Beach for a weekend of
competition on the campus of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical
University, April 2nd and 3rd.  There were competitors
from as far away as New York and Puerto Rico.

We took our middleweight Heavy Metal Noise and had
some great fights with good damage and flipping of
bots.  We took three early wins as well as some
punishment by a fearsome drumbot, Aneurysm.  While we
were fighting the #2 Middleweight in the nation,
Devil?s Plunger, (and definitely giving them a run for
their money) we had an electronics failure and the
drive train stopped responding.  Too bad we couldn?t
have lasted another sixty seconds, as their bot was
emitting smoke when we went in to retrieve the robots.
 They had also fried their electronics, apparently
just seconds after we stopped moving.  We ended up
with a fourth place finish in a strong field of ten
middleweights.

We drove the 5 hours back to Tallahassee Sunday night
and came away from the event with some good ideas to
incorporate into our new bot design.  Our target is to
have BrainStorm together in time for an event in New
Orleans this July.  More details as the build
progresses!

Jay and Valerie
www.bigbangrobotics.com

A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!
It takes more than a great idea to compete in robotic
sports and we are fortunate to have the support of a
great company:  Fenner Drives.  They?ve supplied new
Trantorque GT units for Heavy Metal Noise and we
continue to be impressed with their entire line of
power transmission products:  www.fennerdrives.com
We also would like to extend a warm welcome to Rapid
Response Products, a Fenner Partner.  They are
contributing a shipment of custom pulleys and belts
that will finish out the drive train of BrainStorm:
www.rapidresponseproducts.com

ANTI-SPAM MESSAGE:  We hope you enjoy our occasional
updates but if you wish to be removed from this
mailing list, just send an email to
bigbangrobotics-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and put
"unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line
of the email.  Thanks!