[beports] Haiku APR Port

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 06:34:55 +0200

Howdy,

seems I've finally managed to sub-scribe (greetings ecartis!) to the list.
:-) Some might already know me. I've been one of the Haiku developers since
2002. My fields of activity have been manifold, reaching from generic
kernel work to GUI layout management. About two months ago I've started to
port the tool chain that is required for developing Haiku under Haiku. So
far gcc, binutils, Perl, most of the auto tools, OpenSSL, and OpenSSH are
done (respectively in a state at least as good as they were for BeOS).

My current project is Subversion and its dependencies. I've begun looking
into APR today. I'd like to approach it from a different angle than
Andreas, though. Instead of making use of the already contained BeOS code,
I'd rather extend Haiku's POSIX compatibility and use the generic Unix
code. AFAICT the main features missing are POSIX semaphores and shared
memory. I've already made some progress with the former today, and I don't
see any serious problems with POSIX shared memory either. Hopefully I'm not
too optimistic. :-)

CU, Ingo

PS: In case anyone is interested, I've still got a BeOS R5 net server patch
against APR 1.0.1 (which is the version included in the "jam" package
downloadable from Haiku's website). It weighs in about 90 KB and I can't
tell, if any part of it has made its way into newer versions. I tried to
send it upstream at that time, but when that didn't go as smoothly as I
hope, I stopped to bother as BeOS isn't really a platform I'm much
interested in anymore.

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts