[bdpachicagohscc] Fw: First 6 weeks of College

  • From: Gibran McDuffie <gibran_adejele@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bdpachicagohscc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

FYI

From: Deborah McKenzie <Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 11:24:07 AM
Subject: First 6 weeks of College

(Forwarding to individuals with freshman college students or individuals that
work with students ...Feel free to forward...)
First 6 Weeks of College
Our "old" clients responded well to these tips for entering college freshman.
Thought we'd pass them along for another year. This is right out of my new book
(page 141). More college freshmen will drop out of college in the first 6 weeks
than at any other time this year (53% will drop out after the first year). But
the 6 tips below have proven to work, according to Dr. R. Gilbert of Montclair
State University in New Jersey:
1. Treat your roommates like theyre your best friends...even if they arent.
2. Never assume anything...no matter what your question. Keep asking until 2
people give you the same exact answer.
3. No matter what your problem...there is an expert on campus to help you.
First, check with your Head of Residence. Then, go to the Dean of Students
office.
4. Dont be intimidated. College looks much more difficult than it really is.
5. When you think everyone else is so much smarter than you, remember this
quote: "College is a fountain of knowledge. A few come to drink, a few come to
sip, and, unfortunately, the rest come to gargle."
6. When you feel like dropping out, repeat slowly this question several times:
"Would you like fries with that?"
This last one gets a chuckle, but its no joke. Like the condemned man about to
be executed, it forces a student to focus on whats really important.
College Funding Prep
Paul Lloyd Hemphill
Author of How To Win The College Game
email: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx