[bcbirdclub] Re: just wondering?

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn+" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <heckofanurse@xxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:00:40 -0500

Travis and Others,
Like Don, my preferred field guide is Allen Sibley's Guide to Birds of North
America. It has become the "Birder's Bible" in recent years. It shows more
variations in the plumage of birds than any other field guide that I am aware
of.

My second choice would be the Peterson Field Guide to Birds by Roger tory
Peterson. It has the best descriptions of the birds, their songs and calls. I
was lucky enough to receive the latest edition as a gift on this year's Warbler
Day from one of my former students, who is also a fellow birder. It is much
appreciated.

My third choice would be the National Geographic Field Guide to Birds. The
color plates don't quite compare to Sibley's, but it still a very good guide.

Another very good one is the Field Guide to Birds of North America by Edward S.
Brinkley. It uses beautiful photos instead of drawings of the birds. I'm not
usually a fan of guides that use photos because the field marks are often hard
to see, especially if the photos are dark, but this one has excellent photos. I
received that guide also as a gift from some very thoughtful friends. It also
has special place on my shelf.

As Don pointed out you eventually end up with several birding guides, which is
a great help when you are trying to ID a new species. I know I have at least 8.