[bcbirdclub] common loon

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:43:56 -0400

    While leaving a surface mine in Bishop, VA today I noticed a bird in a
small sediment pond near State Rte. 16.  At first glance, I thought it was a
Grebe of some kind as it was swimming with much of its body submerged in the
water.  As I got closer and was able to view it with my binoculars I realized
that it appeared to be a Common Loon.  Not being all that experienced
identifying such birds I consulted my trusty IBird app and made the ID.  Still,
not wanting to seem like an idiot for posting it to the list-serve, I called
Roger Mayhorn and asked "just how common is it to see a Common Loon here".  He
told me that it is not terribly common but also not unheard of and also agreed,
after I described it to him, that I had indeed spotted my first Common Loon.  I
expected that I might get a life bird today, but I thought it might be a
Yellow-throated or Pine Warbler, certianly not a Common Loon.  Thanks to Roger
for his help.  He is a wealth of information a very good friend.

Daryl Owens
Dismal River, Oakwood VA