[bcbirdclub] Young Pigeons

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:59:33 -0400 (EDT)

I posted a picture of these two pigeons when they were 16 days old and still in
the nest. Now they are 32 days old and are almost on their own. I don't know
yet if they are males or females.

The other photo is of a young pigeon only 2 days old being guarded by its
father. The other egg didn't hatch. Notice how large the young bird has grown
in two days, going from the size to fit inside an egg that size to three or
more times that large. They are fed "pigeons milk", a thick and very nutritious
substance produced in the parents' crops.