[bcbirdclub] Warblers and Sharp-shinned

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BC Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 10:48:35 -0400

This morning I watched a female Cerulean Warbler, a female Blue-winged
Warbler and a Worm-eating Warbler in the Birch tree above the yard pond and
later in the stream. Just moments after the Cerulean and the Blue-winged
flew from the stream a very small Sharp-shinned Hawk came out of the azalea
bush right next to the stream. It had a small bird in its talons. I think
the bird was a Tufted Titmouse. The hawk landed in the grass near the stream
and sat there until the bird was dead (photo below).I couldn't see the prey
because it was down in the grass. After a few moments it lifted into the air
and flew toward the woods carrying the bird. The photo was taken through the
window glass so the quality isn't ideal.

JPEG image