[bcbirdclub] Wapanocca Refuge

  • From: Bob Sweaney <kypm62@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buch birding <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:58:20 -0400

For the past week we've been traveling. On Tuesday May 6 we spent about three
hours on Wapanocca Wildlife Refuge near Turrell, Arkansas. This is a few miles
northwest of Memphis. It was a fine day with a pretty good breeze.

We saw lots of snakes---at least three varieties. And turtles by the hundred.
As for birds, Indigo Buntings ruled the day. They were about every few feet of
the roadside. The best bird for us was the Mississippi Kite, which gave us good
looks as it swooped down over the water. The following is what I could identify.

Great Blue Heron
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Wood Pewee
Mississippi Kite
Green Backed Heron
Brown Headed Cowbird
Eastern Kingbird
Red Winged Blackbird
Dicksissel
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher
Great Creasted Flycatcher
Double Creasted Cormorant
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Bobolink
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee

Later that afternoon as we traveled Arkansas Hiway 14  we saw a couple of
Scissor Tailed Flycatchers 4-5 miles east of Oil Trough, Arkansas.

Bob Sweaney

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.