[bcbirdclub] Vacation Birding

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 13:53:19 -0400

My family and I are vacationing in Myrtle Beach this week, and I've been
sneaking off to do a little birding here and there. The past two evenings,
I've went a few blocks from the condo where we're staying to a small wetland
area where I've picked up two life list additions. One of them, a Clapper
Rail, with five small chicks, is pictured below, and the other is a Whimbrel
that's been there both evenings. I also added Mississippi Kite on the trip
down. The wetland area has also produced a few other notable species including
Black-bellied and Semi-palmated Plover, Dowithcher (too far out to distinguish
which), Black Skimmer, American Oystercatcher, Willet and Sanderling. The
following Heron species were present as well: Great Blue, Little Blue, Green,
Tri-colored Snowy and Great Egret.
I planning a trip to Huntington Beach State Park tomorrow to see what I can
find there.

Daryl Owens

JPEG image

Sent from my iPhone