[bcbirdclub] The Curlew is still Here!

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 23:15:42 -0500

Hi All,
When I got home this evening, after having been gone all day, I had a message
from David Raines telling me that the Long-billed Curlew was still in the same
field this morning in the Breaks community, where it has been since December 21.

So far we have had birders from Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Tennessee
requesting directions to the bird. This evening I just received three more
requests for directions. As far as I know, every birder that has been to see
the bird has gotten good looks at it. Some have stayed for several hours to
watch it through spotting scopes and photograph it as it fed on earthworms,
crickets and other insects in the grassy pasture.

Below is a photo of what the area near the field looked like on Tuesday, Dec
30th, to a passer-by.

Since this bird has become so famous maybe we should give it a name. With a
nose as long as it has don't you think Pinocchio would be appropriate?

Just kidding,
Roger Mayhorn

JPEG image