[bcbirdclub] Re: Sparrow Day 2012

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 23:53:42 -0400

Thanks Dave,
We're looking forward to Saturday.

Roger
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David and Susan Raines
  To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:32 PM
  Subject: [bcbirdclub] Sparrow Day 2012

  Just a reminder that Saturday is Sparrow Day. The birds appear ready, as
sparrow #'s are increasing daily. Good #'s of White-throated, Song and
White-crowned Sparrows are keeping the feeders busy. Small flocks of Chipping
Sparrows show up here and there, while Swamp & Field Sparrows prefer the
tangles along the creek or the fence-rows. Quite a lot of ponding from rain &
snow melt might bring us something of interest. In fact, I had a Killdeer last
evening & today a mixed flock of blackbirds are working the wet areas in front
of our home. This flock was made up of 18 Rusties, 1 Common Grackle,
1Brown-headed Cowbird and 8 Starlings. An imm. Cooper's hunted the feeder yard
yesterday & a gorgeous Red-shouldered Hawk perched on the telephone wire over
the creek. Both Kinglets have made an appearance this week & Siskins, in small
#'s show up daily. The remaining Poke & Dogwood berries pull in Cedar
Waxwings,Robins,Bluebirds,Thrashers & Mockingbirds. Also a Hermit Thrush was
seen twice in the Dogwood next to my back porch.
  Anyway, if you're coming to Sparrow Day wear waterproof shoes if you have 'em
& maybe a folding chair for the fire circle. A good time to arrive would be ,
8:30 or there abouts. Seriously, I can usually see most of the birds around our
place from the fire circle area. Come on over & sit a spell. We may check out a
few of the best spots in the Breaks Park during the afternoon. I believe there
will be some "Mountain" music & Storytelling in the park that evening. Ghouls &
goblins may be about, due to the postponement of Trick or Treat by the local
counties.
  DaveR/Breaks VA